Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sous-sol

The vacation continues, and the French certainly know how to relax! Last Tuesday (9/18), my mom, aunts, and I went to Thermapolis, a water spa in Amnéville-Les-Thermes. I found out that the water is actually from the natural hot spring underneath the spa! I highly recommend Thermapolis for anyone with joint pain. The water current and various water jets were really fun to try out!


On Friday, we had a galette/crepe night with family, during which I learned I really need to work on both my French and English pronunciation. The first incident of the night was when we tried to help my French uncle remember some English phrases. Although I said, "I speak English," he heard, "Aspic." For the non-foodies out there, aspic is a cold gelatin meat dish- quite the miscommunication. One of my French cousins has the same English teacher that my uncle had, I hope the teacher has improved, lol.

The second episode of the night happened while I was skyping my dad. I was trying to explain that he was in the basement to my French relatives, so I said, "Il est en sous-sol." (He is in the basement.) Only, I pronounced the sentence as "Il est en sous-sou" instead of "sous-sol" (IPA: /su.sɔl/). Naturally, now all my relatives continue to make fun of that mistake days later- word travels fast around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment