Friday, November 2, 2012

Joyeux Halloween!

The Toussaint (All Saints' Day) holidays have began and I am very lucky to have French family that has invited me to spend the vacation with them.

When one of my younger cousins invited me to come along with him and his friends trick-or-treating on Halloween, how could I refuse free candy? I dressed up as a witch (broom and all) and went with them around their neighborhood.

Halloween is not very big or very commercialized in France. I had a hard enough time finding a witch's hat in Nancy, I was lucky that one of my friends is very observant and found what must be the only Halloween costume shop in the city. Trick-or-treaters never know exactly which houses will hand out candy, and those who give out candy never know how many trick-or-treaters will come. Since those houses who celebrate Halloween do not always light an outside light, trick-or-treaters ring the bell at each house with a light inside. The consequence is that sometimes all the candy has already been given out to the early trick-or-treaters. Even if that is the case, some very generous people look around their house and give a group of trick-or-treaters a whole chocolate bar to split or a small bag of candy.

One kind lady gave each trick-or-treater a small bag of cookies that are usually eaten for Christmas:


I'm going to have a stomach ache for a couple days from all the candy and sweets! Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment