Saturday, January 26, 2013

La galette des Rois

This week I worked with the second graders as they continued their "That's mean!" project. To help students  understand the use of "ing", the teacher created a project in which students had to write and illustrate examples of being mean. The week before, students had read an amusing book about mean acts and drafted ideas for their own book. (For example, "Locking your sister in a dark room.") The students really enjoyed the creativity of the project and came up with some funny ideas.

On a side note, January is the time of year where the French celebrate Epiphany with a galette des rois (kings' cake). A small fève (figurine) is hidden inside the cake, and the person who finds it becomes the king/queen of the day (complete with a couronne- crown). One of my roommates brought back a small galette des rois for our floor to enjoy. I was lucky and became the "queen of the day" because the person who saw the figurine in a slice gave the piece to me because she had already won a previous time this month.


Yummy!

2 comments:

  1. I have wanted to try king cake! Lucky you. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I'm back, we'll have to make a Kings' Cake! Yum! I learned that there are actually different versions of the cake depending on the region in France.

      Hope school is going well! Miss you all!

      Delete