Sunday, March 17, 2013

La fête de la Saint-Patrick ♣

So just because I'm not Irish or in Ireland, doesn't mean my French students shouldn't enjoy la fête de la Saint-Patrick (St. Patrick's Day).

I worked with the second graders during this first week back from winter break. To introduce St. Patrick's Day vocabulary, I showed the class pictures from a St. Patrick's Day parade I went to in Florida- including a man dressed up as a leprechaun. In addition, I read the students the poem, "Don't Pinch" by Bruce Lansky. The class quickly learned why you have to wear vert (green) on St. Patrick's Day. In order to review sound words, I took out familiar sound words from several words in the poem and then the students had to figure out what sounds were missing and write them on their worksheet. During the last part of the lesson, students wrote sentences and illustrated what "lucky" is. I was very touched that some students wrote that being lucky is having a sibling or giving a present to your friends and family.

I started the festivities a little early- the whole school is celebrating St. Patrick's Day next Tuesday. Stay tuned for updates!

Bonne fête de la Saint-Patrick! Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment